About Me

My photo
Wife to Andy and mother of 3 beautiful girls. Jenna(15), Zoie(10) and Baylee(10). Working hard to raise Awareness of Angelman Syndrome, and helping raise money for a cure.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Kids Are Home

What do we do? SLEEP!! Baylee always sleeps well, but Zoie usually doesn't. I was so suprised when my husband's phone went off at 6:30am this morning and that was the first I had been awakened! Zoie slept all night!!!! Jenna, on the other hand, would sleep FOREVER! (normal teenager!) I had to wake her up to help out today! Since the girls have had so many snow days, I have had a very difficult time sticking with my routine. I. HAVE. GOT. TO. CATCH. UP!! One day, it will happen.


I made homemade laundry soap the other day. It was very easy. I have been pleasantly suprised at how well it cleans the clothes. AND, without adding the *optional* essential oils, I like the fragrance. The recipe is below:


2/3 bar Fels Naptha

1/2 c. Arm and Hammer Washing Soda

1/2 c. borax powder

2 gallon bucket


1. Grate soap finely and place in sauce pan

2. Add 6 cups of water and heat until soap is melted.

3. Add washing soda and borax and stir until it's dissolved. Remove from heat.

4. Pour 4 cups of hot water into bucket.

5. Now add soap mixture to bucket and stir.

6. Add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water to the bucket and stir.

7. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. Use 1/2 cup per load.

8. You can add 1 oz of your favorite essential oil to the mixture as well. But the fragrance is very fresh, clean smelling.


I was told this costs about 1 to 2 cents per load. When buying the ingredients, it was about $9 or less for everything. The only thing I will have to buy the next time I make it is the Fels Naptha, and it was only $1.79.


I was told for whites, just add a teaspoon of baking soda to the wash cycle. I haven't done my whites yet, so I haven't tried it, but Zoie and Baylee's coats have white on them, that had gotten quite dingey and the white turned out very bright after washing with the homemade laundry soap. I am SOLD!!!


My husband thinks I am crazy when I begin trying "new" things....but, he humors me! So thankful for that!


Happy Snow day to you all! (well, for us anyway....I hear 8.5 inches is what we got....UNHEARD of!) I will be watching a TON of movies and cleaning all day....what will you do with your snow day?

3 comments:

  1. Yeah Steph! I am so glad you are happy with the results. You are going to love the savings! The Felps was on sell at Dillons just two days ago if you need more. You didn't use the whole bar did you? I go between half a bar and 2/3 trying to find a consistency I like. Just made a new batch last night. Well enjoy the snow *sarcastic sigh* So ready for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel, I only used 2/3 of the bar. At first I thought maybe I did something wrong because of the consistency, but then I remembered you said it was like a thick egg drop soup. It has worked out nicely! I am ready for spring too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only do 1/3 bar of soap and never have had to use extra soda for the whites. They always come out bright. Been making my own for about 3 years.

    ReplyDelete