About Me

My photo
Wife to Andy and mother of 3 beautiful girls. Jenna(15), Zoie(10) and Baylee(10). Working hard to raise Awareness of Angelman Syndrome, and helping raise money for a cure.

Monday, August 16, 2010

Race for the Cure

Well, I know I never posted anything about the Race for the Cure....which was done almost exactly one year ago (11 months, actually). But, I did get it accomplished. I was SO nervous....I wanted so badly to run the entire thing! I was so EXCITED at the same time! I trained for 6 weeks. When I started the training, I couldn't even run for 2 minutes. The first week, that's what you do, you run for 2 minutes, walk for 5 minutes....repeated 4 more times. I was EXHAUSTED after 30 seconds of running.

The first weekend, you're suppose to run 1/2 mile.....well, I did it.(on the treadmill, way different than being outside!) Anyhow, I gradually worked up to the 3.2 miles. I had trained with 5 wonderful women. They are all inspirations to me, in so many ways! Love each and every one of them. I always still felt like part of the group, even though I am a VERY SLOW runner. (plus, I have SEVERAL more pounds on this body of mine than they do!) I trained using my daughter's ipod, which we had loaded up with many fast paced songs that get you moving! I was so excited!


Well, the morning of the race came, I got on my running pants, my running shoes, my Race for the Cure T-shirt, and hooked the ipod on, and out the door I went! Got to the race.....it was like a carnival. Energy was high. I was LOVING it!!!!! We get to the starting line for the 5K race, and when they start the race, they play the song, "I Run for Life" by Melissa Etheridge. (If you haven't heard it, you should listen to it....be careful though, it's a tear-jerker!) I get the ipod cued up to "Miss Independent"....not even to the chorus of the song, and the ipod dies. I had forgotten to charge it the night before!! How was I going to make it through this race? I was so upset with myself! The whole time I had trained with music! What was I going to do? So, I started thinking about my aunts who have fought breast cancer. Two of them lost their battle, and one is alive and well. So, I began thinking about them and how much I missed them. Tears streaming down my face as I thought about how they were probably with me at that time. I thought of how fun, silly, and crazy they were! Love those special ladies.

Anyway, I finished. I ran the entire time, and it took me 42 minutes. Not my personal best, but I took it! I cried a lot that day! I kept thinking of how hard it was to get ready for this race, how I did it for special people, and how I stuck with something even though it was difficult. AND, I got to train with wonderful women who encouraged me, and lifted me up when I thought there was no way I could do it!

It's that time again! Today is the first day of training. The best part is, the two minutes of running, seems like nothing! I love that I have continued to exercise.....even if it's not as much running. I love that I have continued friendships with the women I ran with last year, and that they will be training again this year, as well! Race day is September 25th, and I cannot WAIT to get a better time than 42 minutes!


Here's a picture of me approaching the finish line, and a picture of me and the wonderful ladies I worked with!

No comments:

Post a Comment